Skip to main content

8.1 Organic solvent waste

All organic solvent waste should be separated into:

  • Halogenated waste.
  • Non-Halogenated waste. 

The organic solvent waste category does not cover ethers, see chapter 8.2 Chemical waste for more information concerning ethers.

Oil is categorized as Chemical waste and must be stored in sealed, leak proof containers, see chapter 8.2 Chemical waste.

Use special plastic cans

Halogenated and non-halogenated waste should be separated and collected in special 5 l plastic cans marked UN 3H1/X1.9/250/10/D/BAM 11872. These plastic cans are available and free of charge at the janitors office, no other plastic cans may be used. 

  • The solvent waste may not contain more than 10% water.
  • Maximum filling of the plastic can is 90% of total capacity.
  • The solvent waste may not contain toxic metals.
  • The solvent waste may not contain strong acids or bases.

The solvent waste cans must be kept in a ventilated area at the division with a tray underneath that can collect the whole volume of the container. A maximum of two cans can be kept in a fume hood before it influence the ventilation negatively.

Markings of plastic cans

These labels should be attached to all waste cans

Attach the labels properly, i.e. correct orientation according to above picture and fully visible.

Mark the plastic can with name, division and the date when it started to be filled!

Non-halogenated or Halogenated waste

Note that the labels for Non-halogenated and Halogenated waste are different.

Non-halogenated solvent waste cans should be marked with this label

Halogenated/Chlorinated solvent waste cans should be marked with this label

Disposal of plastic cans

When the plastic can is full or has been kept for a maximum of 3 months, it has to be disposed of. Steps:

  • Make sure the cap is firmly tightened until no “clicking” can be heard.

  • Check if the plastic can is deformed. If this occurs report it as an incident and transfer the content to a new can.
    Read more: 6.4 After an accident

  • Transport the plastic can to the janitor´s office. Follow the instructions for transporting chemicals strictly. The room for solvent waste is locked and can only be opened by authorized personnel during office hours. Register your disposed waste in the binder “Solvent waste / Lösningsmedelsavfall” which you can find at the janitor´s office.
    Read more: 5.1 Storage and transport

  • Each division is responsible for the risk assessment of the waste collected.
Page Manager: | 2021-11-10