The safety instructions, compiled on this website, apply to Kemicentrum and are applicable to all departments and/or divisions. For a more detailed instruction, readers are referred to the individual departments and/or divisions. These departments and/or divisions are, when deemed necessary, instructed to compile specific safety instructions regarding its own particular field of expertise.
Literature concerning safety issues of relevance to chemical laboratory work is located on an allocated shelf in the library for Kemicentrum, and should, if necessary, also be available in the divisional libraries.
The Work Environment Act (Arbetsmiljölagen) is applicable to both instructional and research labs within the academic facility. These safety instructions have been issued in accordance with the general provisions of this act. The aim of these instructions is to minimize the risk of illness and accidents linked to laboratory work.
Each person who is working at Kemicentrum is responsible for:
- Carefully studying and follow both the general regulations found here on the website (http://www.kc.lu.se/safety-regulations) and/or in the General Safety Regulations handbook 2020, and the relevant special instructions for each department/division.
- Being aware of who is responsible for the working environment within Kemicentrum´s different divisions.
- Knowing who is the principal and local health and safety representative (huvudskyddsombud och avdelningens skyddsombud)
- Knowing who to contact and what to do in case of emergency, evacuation, ventilation failure, and power- and water outage.
- Reporting accidents and injuries to the EHS committee (Environment, Health and Safety committee)
- Knowing what protective equipment should be used, ensuring the availability of personal protective equipment (PPE) (e.g. laboratory coat, gloves, eye protection, etc.)
- Knowing which areas are EX-classified in the laboratory.
- Knowing how to handle different kind of waste such as chemical, biological, radioactive etc.
- Consulting with EHS (Environment, Health and Safety) and/or Departmental Safety committee on use of higher risk materials, such as use of particularly hazardous substances or conducting higher risk experimental procedures, so special safety precautions can be taken.
Observe that the use of candle- and/or tea lights are prohibited within Kemicentrum.
According to the central policy for work environment at Lund University it shall be verified that the employee / student has understood the safety instructions and affirms compliance.
Upon reading and understanding Kemicentrum´s General Safety Regulations sign the affirmation document.
Click here for the document. Print it out and sign it. Leave the document to your local administrator. The document should be filed at your division.